How to understand your customers? This is the major question asked by any industry or enterprise. To better understand your customers you need to step down in their shoes. For better understanding, you need to have a better engagement. One needs to maintain the proper business communication between the consumer and the brand. This communication can be done through interaction and gather the overall customer experience either online or offline regarding a product, service or brand.
Though in a best eCommerce platform there isn’t a customer who is walking in the store, it becomes equally important to interact with them and gather their requirements and expectations from sellers. For any eCommerce platform, it is very important to exceed the expectations of their customer as they are the heart and soul of their business. And thus it becomes very important to keep proper engagement with their customers. The problem is there that there are companies who focus very less on customer interaction and more on pushing sales pitch on their them. Successful brands and business who interact with their customers know their value, as understanding them isn’t as complicated as it seems. Just you need is proper data gathering and analysis. eCommerce industries especially need to measure and analyze data in better ways to keep their customers engaged as they are not physically present in front of them. To understand better check out the following ways to keep the customers engaged.
1. Get Insights – Step in Their Shoes
To know customer experience you need data and a consumer-centric approach. The study shows that only 8% of consumers feel great about their online shopping experience. The understanding customer requires you to take a hard look at the points at which your customer contact with the business, especially in the eCommerce sector as a consumer is not physically present in front of you.
What you need to understand about the consumer or buyer is-
- Who are your buyers? (The age group)
- What do your buyers want from your eStore? (What they expect from you)
- How do the buyers take a decision to buy a product?
- Where do the buyers go to gather information about the product? (Their preferences)
The buyer never goes for the price at first. They focus more on the ROI (Return On Investment). The prices are totally meaningless if the product as no ROI. The companies who lead with price will gain success at first but will soon lose loyalty and trust if their products don’t go up to the mark. Definitely, you don’t want your company to be one of them.
This process makes you understand your buyer’s needs, their buying process, all these things help in gaining their trust and loyalty. The more aligned you are with the buyer’s journey the better the chance that you have of being their companion and win their trust and business.
2. Collect and Analyze Customer Data
All the companies have a Customer Relationship Management System (CRM) holding valuable information about your customers. By inspecting and analyzing the data, you can study the pattern in which your customers typically make orders. How much time they take to place the order? What all research they do before placing the order? By collecting such data you easily analyze your performance.
Now the point comes what kind of data to collect.
One can collect personal data such as Customer names and mailing lists allowing you to do personalize your communication and interactions. You can directly take a follow-up if there is any problem with their order, also easily share the offers and discounts information by sending promotional emails. Other data to collect can be age, profession, and gender to understand their shopping pattern.
Recognizing and analyzing each customer’s transaction history like what products they recently browsed, what transactions they made will help you know which products and services to offer them in future. Also, the companies should encrypt all the customers’ data to safeguard it.
Check out the benefits of collecting the data-
- Identify and Verify Issues
- Proactively address issues, measure progress and capitalize on opportunities.
- Gain trust, develop effective and respectful consultations
- Reduce exposure to possible legal action and human rights complaints.
3. Ask them what they think
You cannot make your business survive without making an ongoing effort to better understand customer requirements and expectations. To check that your online store is having positive effect or not you need to manage regular communication with your customers. Gathering feedback after every purchase they mage will let you know the changes you need to bring in your online store and the services.
Ways one can choose to interact with the customers
- Conduct Surveys- Conducting a simple email survey to acquire customer feedback will make your customers value. Once you make changes according to the feedback, then you can tell people what have you done as a result of their feedback. From the surveys conducted you will get to know your staff behavior from the order of product to delivery till after sales services.
In surveys, they can directly share the bad experiences from your company to you rather than discussing with friends. Unless you actively consult your customers directly you will never discover the loopholes going wrong in your business.
- Hold Contest- Getting frequently engaged with customers and holding contests to increase interaction will help your business a lot to read the customer’s mind. Set up customer contact programme to keep in touch with clients. Holding contest will not only grab attention but will keep them engaged with your eCommerce store. Rewarding them for their participation will force them to make next transaction or play another contest. In contests, you could ask customers to share creative photos and tag your eCommerce Store and the chosen winner receives a product or free some points for next purchases.
Thus we can make out that to create online store is not only the thing you need to do after starting the business. You need to continuously interact with your customers, speak to your customers gather their requirements and expectations. To have the best interaction use only the limited crucial information about overall customer satisfaction. Today through eCommerce, selling products online has become a great way for companies and even for retailers to bring their business into the limelight. By doing proper research and understanding your customer you will establish trust, credibility and ultimately increase your brand value.