Say No to Silly Marketing !
The objective of this article is to provide a quick summary of all the marketing methods / offers that do NOT give results. These methods have been used again and again, but fail to deliver on the ROI which a typical ecommerce company is looking for.
There are certain marketing methods that generate ROI and then there are some that are just a waste of money as the amount of returns is negligible.
Please keep in mind that there is nothing called “no results”. You will even get results if as an ecommerce company, you distribute pamphlets in an area near you, so the idea here is to highlight marketing methods that are amongst the bottom most and fail to deliver substantial gains.
So here is the list ..
- Promoting products just because they are lowest priced (and there is no demand, for e.g. t-shirts in winters)
- Promoting products where you are not price competitive (read as lowest priced)
- Conditional discounting. Promoting products and giving a discount on the next purchase is one such example. It doesn’t work, the buyer is too smart for it
- Campaigns where the chances of winning are more than one in a million and the prize is also not overly substantial.
- Campaigns where the price is first increased substantially and then a large discount is offered. This is specially true for products that are available elsewhere also.
- Sporadic promotions on low impact offline mediums. For e.g. Radio for a week, or TV for a few days, or small Ad in a news paper once in a while. If it is low impact, then it has to be high on frequency.
- Marketing on all possible channels in small bits and pieces. You would rather work only on one channel and one Target profile for a long time.
There are a lot more, and the only way to market today is to think of the viewer of the marketing message is yourself. Create the marketing material, choose the channel and then just give it a second thought. Will it make you buy? If not, then you probably need to work a bit more on the marketing bit.