Respect your customer and Grow your business
The sooner you understand this line, the better it is for your business. It is a known fact that getting a new customer requires a lot of time, energy and cost whereas retaining an existing customer is much easier, the subsequent transactions with the customer are much more smooth and the overall trust and comfort between you and the customer increases more and more over time.
One of the biggest issues in every business and specially the online ecommerce business is retention of clients. Most of them come to your site, shop and for some reason never come back.
There is always a reason why customers don’t shop again from you and you need to look at the available data to solve this issue.
Is a subset of such customers who will not like to come back to your site. You need to dig deeper into the complaints and capture and understand the reasons why the complaints have been raised.
You need to remember and acknowledge the fact that when a customer is really frustrated, only then he will complain. Most of the customers who are just upset with you will not take the pain to complain and thus you need to treat this data as an authentic input for your business.
There are a lot of such frustrations that you can take care of when you proactively share more insights with the customers before hand so that they know that you care for them and are not so bothered about the issue.
The top 3 complaints are –
- Delay in Order Delivery
- Incorrect product shipped
- Processing of Returns / Exchanges
Now you can do a lot to be more pro active so that the customer doesn’t get frustrated. Here is a list of things that you can do –
- Automatically email / sms your customer about the important status milestones for e.g. Order packed, Order Shipped, Estimated delivery time, Delay message with reason, etc
- Always share the image / size / quantity of the ordered products when sending email communication so that the customer knows what has been ordered / what is being delivered
- Share status of estimated times also, for e.g. 3 more days for refund, 2 days for return / exchange pickup, 24 hours to resolve the complaint etc. This is important as the customer sees this as a commitment and will have the confidence in you.
- At every important step, remember to take feedback, whether it is the product feedback or ease of order placement, or the friendliness of the delivery executive etc. These will also make sure that you eliminate a bigger frustration by acting on this in advance.
The key is to keep the customer informed about what is happening and about the reasons in case on an issue.
Automation via templates
Another very important aspect is the email / sms template design. By design, i just don’t mean the graphics and colors, but most importantly the tone and message of the mail.
- There will be times where the customer demand is unjustified and you will have to politely say no.
- There will be times where you will do favors for the customer to keep him happy.
- There will be times when you will want a favor from the customers, for e.g. a referral.
- There will be many more scenarios ..
The important thing to understand is that you need to put yourself in the customer’s shoes when you write the content of those mails and that is the time you will be able to empathize with them and deliver the message in the best possible manner.
In the end, just remember that one happy customer is much better than five dissatisfied customers.